As a responsible pool owner, you should regularly clean your pool to maintain its appearance and also protect the welfare of swimmers. It doesn’t just entail skimming the surface, but also regulating pH levels and repairing any damage.
Regular weekly cleaning and maintenance are essential to keep your pool clean and ready for summer, and also keep it in top condition.
Here are top things to consider in proper maintenance of your pool:
5 Quick Tips For Good Pool Maintenance
- Maintain optimal pH levels. Keep the pH level of your pool between 7.2 and 7.8 to make the water safe for swimmers. Maintaining a balanced pH level will prevent skin irritation or corrosion of metal parts on the pool. If pH is too low, it might cause the chlorine to be ineffective.
Maintenance of the pH level is a constant process. It should be checked regularly to ensure it hasn’t changed much in the past 24 hours. You can also seek professional help to make sure the job is done right. For instance, since muriatic acid can be dangerous if spilled accidentally, they might suggest muriatic acid substitute for pools that are safer and non-toxic.
- Monitor your pool’s structure. Water condition and level are not the only things that need to be monitored in your swimming pool. The structural condition is also important to keep an eye on, such as walls, cracks or gates to ensure the longevity of your pool.
Here are some factors to consider when checking your pool’s structure:
Ensure the walls are not weakened and there’s no rust or corrosion. There are lots of materials suitable for pool wall like steel, polymer or concrete, and each has its own benefits. For instance, polymer is strong and stable, and is rust and corrosion-resistant. It’s also lighter so there’s less chance of injury when lifting.
If you start seeing cracks around the pool, it can be fixed with clear silicon to prevent water from seeping in. Cracks can be caused by poor engineering or workmanship.
Always ensure there are gates, locks or any barrier to keep swimmers safe, especially small children. Gates should swing away from the pool, not towards the pool. Also, make sure the latching mechanism is also functional.
- Empty the skimmer basket. The skimmer basket is used to prevent debris and contaminants from floating down the bottom of the pool. The best way to keep it working is to regularly dump out its contents.
- Clean the hair and lint pot. The hair and lint pot inside the pump collects debris that escaped the skimmer basket. It’s usually cleaned every 2 weeks, depending on the number of people using the pool. Ensure that this basket is not broken because if a small stone falls through, it can cause problems with your pool system.
- Check your pool’s water level. The water level should be at the center of the pool skimmer for good performance. If water is too low, it might dry and burn up the pump. If it’s too high, the skimmer might not work properly and leave debris in the pool.
High-Quality and Non-Toxic Pool Maintenance
Poolsmith Technologies provides great options for stabilizing pH of your pool. You’ll get organic pH control system that will make your pool safer and more enjoyable.
For inquiries, call us at 480-570-5716 or fill out our online form.